JOHN J SMITH PHOTOGRAPHS


Single image Extra Information
The line from Buildwas opened in 1862; the original station would have been behind the photographer, in what became the goods yard. In 1864 the line was extended to Presthope (then in 1867 to Craven Arms), at which time a new passenger station (with passing loop) was provided, as seen in the photo. The design had to be suitable for the Borough of Much Wenlock! As there was only one platform (a characteristic of the Much Wenlock branch) passenger trains could only cross with goods trains or light engines,and not with another passenger train. The line closed in July 1962 to passengers, and completely in December the following year. The station buildings and the goods shed survive as private residences.


Date Location
14 Jul 1962
Saturday
Ref: 8-44-7
Much Wenlock